Another "simple" task

Looks like I will be back on Demigod again tomorrow. I have to finish up the achievements. Apparently, the achievements were already decided for both demigods and they were available in a spreadsheet. Would have been nice to know beforehand. I am going to have to add some custom stats tracking as well, which will make this task take quite a while longer. I also have some final animation state machine work to do and some last minute blueprint stuff. Hopefully I will be done with Demigod for a while after this week. Not that I don't like it, I just have a lot of SupCom 2 stuff to do.

I also repaired some more of the bugs that were listed in the consolidated list thread on Stardock's site. The engine stuff is handled by someone else, but he is aware of the thread, so hopefully he can take a look at some of the engine related issues.

Had my first big project for SupCom 2. Another one of those seemingly simple tasks that are not so simple. I started coding for it this morning and hope to have it finished tomorrow morning. I know, one day is not that big of a project, but it is the biggest c++ coding project I have been assigned so far. Going from completing several tasks a day to spending all day on one project is quite a change. I don't get the constant sense of accomplishment as I complete tasks. Hopefully that will come tomorrow as I complete this one large task.

The shader work still has not been done on the UEF ships yet. We have a very close milestone approaching. I think there was only a month between the last milestone and this upcoming one, which is not much time, so I think the shader work has been pushed back a bit. I will try and see if I can use a different factions ships that are done. Hopefully there is at least one factions ships that are picture worthy.

9 comments:

Fingolfin said... / October 1, 2009 at 10:32 AM  

What's the new 'small' task?! Or was that the shader work for UEF ships that you mentioned? I wonder if you'd have some time or inclination in the future, to write about how the milestones work on a game like SupCom 2. I'm also curious about the kind of work that goes into a pre-release *demo* (or "mini") version, such as something that CT might show off at a booth or to the press. Is there a team that gets told something like "OK, can we make X, Y and Z looking really polished to demo to some journalists at XYZ show" who go off making some parts more solid than others (such as a more complete level or faction) so the game looks as sharp as possible for the press/consumers?

Smoot said... / October 1, 2009 at 10:46 AM  

Thanks for the update, Sorian.

I am still looking forwards to that screenshot :)

Peter said... / October 1, 2009 at 12:39 PM  

@Sorian...can you tell us which match making system will be used? lol :)
PLEASE?! :)

Sorian said... / October 1, 2009 at 7:51 PM  

@Fingolfin: I'll make sure to talk more about that in the next blog post.

@Peter: Nope, but I'm sure you already knew that ;).

Peter said... / October 1, 2009 at 8:24 PM  

@ Sorian... sure I knew, didn't really expect any serious answer, but I can try right? :)
Thumbs up, am waiting for your next blog.
Have fun at GPG. Ed :)

Tobias Fong C.W. said... / October 1, 2009 at 11:30 PM  

Sir, how different is the game from the ones shown at Games Convention? Are we still going to have a chance to play on the old maps from Forged Alliance, like the forest, tundra and desert ones?

The Illuminate doesn't have a navy any more, right? How are they going to fight naval battles then? With hovering units? Well, as long as they don't take out the UEF navy...will there be an Atlantis II or Mavor II for experimentals or something? I really loved those UEF experimentals in the original game. The Mavor was always the turning point in my game.

Is there no chance about the Serraphim returning? I was hoping they were going to expand more on their story, but the Illuminate seemed to have assimilated them into their faction. I'm still hoping for a chance, no matter how small, return, though.

What will happen if Blizzard releases Starcraft 2 at the same time as Supreme Commander 2? Of course I'll go for Supcom 2 first but what are your marketing strategies if that really happens?

Matti said... / October 2, 2009 at 1:30 AM  

How about I answer that for him?
"How is this different from other RTSs?"
-Strategic zoom, simulation based battle.

"Do we have normal terrain maps like in SupCom1?"
-Yes. GPG just wanted to show off their new mapping technology.

"What will naval warfare be like with Aeon having no navalry"
-We really don't know anything about this yet, and I doubt Sorian is allowed to leak us that kind of information yet. We'll just have to wait and see.

"Mavor 2? Atlantis2?"
-Who knows... We already have Megalith 2 and "skinnyboy." The final answer will come with time.

"Seraphim?"
-3 playable factions. I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of tiny Seraphim remnants in campaign, but they wont be playable.

"Marketing?"
-Up to SE, not GPG

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

-Mazrix

Tobias Fong C.W. said... / October 3, 2009 at 7:04 AM  

How about I answer that for him?
"How is this different from other RTSs?"
-Strategic zoom, simulation based battle.

No, I was asking how different is the current version of Supreme Commander 2 from the version (an early 1-month-old alpha) shown at Gamesconvention, the one with the Universal Colossus and everything.

But thanks, Matti/Mazrix. That was insightful.

Sorian said... / October 3, 2009 at 11:28 AM  

Ok fingolfin, I answered some of your questions. The demo stuff I really couldn't answer well because I came into the project to late to really see how that stuff was decided.

Post a Comment