End of week 2

One month ago today I was standing in front of Chris Taylor's (CEO - Gas Powered Games) office being introduced by Bartosz Kijanka (VP of Engineering - Gas Powered Games). During the conversation Chris said that the game industry is like a sausage factory. You may love sausage, but you really don't want to know the details about how it gets made. I think I am starting to get a sense of where he is coming from.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my job, but this week was hectic. Today was a milestone day for Supreme Commander 2, so there was a lot of rushing to finish up a lot of features and squash as many bugs as possible before building it and sending it to Square Enix. In the midst of that I was assigned back to the Demigod patch yesterday. It was fun being busy, though. Got through a lot of bugs and got to do stuff I've never done as a modder before, like unit wiring.

Yesterday I was working on fixing the bugs that Stardock sent back about Demigod and found one that had me stumped for a while. After figuring out the issue, conveniently after my partner who codes in C++ regularly had left for the day, I found that the only solution was to create a new C++ function. Took me way longer than it should have because I have very little C++ experience and I am not familiar with the Demigod source code. This morning I got it all figured out and got to submit my first C++ change into the repository.

Now, to enjoy a nice relaxing weekend.

2 comments:

Matti said... / September 12, 2009 at 10:09 AM  

You do not know how tempted I am to link "Dirty jobs: Sausage Factory" video right now.
-Mazrix

scotchtape622 said... / September 12, 2009 at 2:30 PM  

lol, I bet Chris always uses that analogy :P

Post a Comment