Most awesome day...so far

There are only two words that can describe the day I had today. Kick ass!

I was tasked with adding two new weapon systems to the Cybranasaurus Rex. One weapon was a no frills cut and paste job. The other weapon, however, had no design idea behind it. All it had was a very vague requirement. Oh really?

I had a really cool idea for this weapon, so I got together with an effects guy and asked if my idea was feasable and what he thought of it. He said it sounded cool, but if I could find the video of the real world weapon system I derived my idea from, it would help. After seeing the video he was really enthusiastic. So, after balance gave it the thumbs up I got to work.

It didn't take long before I had a first pass done. A little while later I had it all rigged up. Even with placeholder effects and projectiles it still looks awesome. Now, I am going to have a weapon system in the game that was mine, from concept to code.

I also got some time in for Demigod today. I got all the new achievements and stat tracking set up. I also managed to get the minimap working in replays as an observer thanks to some new textures courtesy of Servo. Now, everything shows up as neutral in observer mode.

I know most of you are probably subscribing to this blog to get info on SupCom 2, which is fine. But, I hope I can try a help some of you out there realize what goes into games. A simple sounding request like making the minimap work as an observer is not as simple as it sounds. Most people act like it is just flipping a switch, which was not the case. It took 3 new textures, modifying 2 lua files, and modifying 3 source code files to make it work. I had to plug in values for to tell the minimap how to display neutral citidels, structures, demigods, etc. I had to set up the minimap source code to sort entities into neutral categories. I also had to tell the game to treat entites as neutral to observers. All for one seemingly simple change.

7 comments:

Fingolfin said... / September 25, 2009 at 10:32 AM  

Hey man – congrats on all that hard coding work and for getting your weapon concept into the game, that's really cool. As a tester myself I often get to see and fully appreciate just what goes into the coding process in terms of time and resources and creativity. The Demigod amend sounded like a lot of work for such a 'small thing', but it's those 'small things' that scale up into a real quality productions, so you and your team should be highly commended for that.

I just bought Demigod btw and do intend to grab Supcom 2 when it comes out. I enjoy your posts not just for the new info but the character of the writing and insights you shed into the games design process.

Anyway; have a fantastic weekend (I'm just clocking-off now!).

Smoot said... / September 25, 2009 at 11:54 AM  

I really hope you post as much as you do now until release. I love reading your blog.

BTW, care to post that video of the real-world weapon?

mocafrost said... / September 25, 2009 at 3:27 PM  

Your posts are interesting reads. I appreciate the game info and the industry insight. Did you get into that 8 player match? I'm wondering if that's still considered work?

Sorian said... / September 25, 2009 at 4:28 PM  

I tried, but the game crashed. With code changing so often it is bound to happen.

mocafrost said... / September 26, 2009 at 12:07 AM  

Shame... but something to look forward to.

Wong Yi said... / September 30, 2009 at 6:38 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wong Yi said... / September 30, 2009 at 6:40 AM  

Hi Sorian, I'm a software engineer in the gaming industry as well and totally second what you mentioned about "Most people act like it is just flipping a switch".

I've had my fair share of creeping feature demands from publishers and what have you. A lot of consumers of games simply don't realize how complicated game software is.

Post a Comment