Essential websites

While working there are some essential websites I have open. I have the basics like gmail and twitter as well as the GPG forums, Demigod forums, Uber Entertainment forums, and my blog page. While coding in c++ there is a lot of downtime. Whenever I make a change I have to rebuild the game so I can test my changes. Building can take 5 or 10 minutes, sometimes longer if I change a header file or if I have to sync with the repository first. During the downtime I take a look at some of the sites to read posts, check email, and view comments.

We also have a web accessible internal bug tracker that I have open. It lists all of the known bugs on all projects. This is where we post any bugs that we find and those bugs get assigned to someone to fix.

The other site that I have found very useful is pandora.com. Most people in the office wear headphones while they work (myself included, now) and listen to some form of music. A lot of people bring in music on iPods or iPhones and either load it onto their machines or listen directly from the player. The music helps me focus. I seem to get more done.

This week has definitely been hectic, but the game is looking more polished by the day. I have gotten a chance to work on some really fun stuff lately. Tomorrow I will spend the morning working on Demigod again. I have to polish a couple skills a bit more now that their effects are in. I think Shana also had a couple more requests for me.

The effects for the new demigods are going in. They are really starting to look nice. Still no idea when they are going to be completely done, but progress is being made.

9 comments:

hugo_van_nigtevecht said... / October 9, 2009 at 4:41 AM  

I hardly dare to disturb your busyness, but do you have clue when the patch for FA will release?? That will keep me much more patient hehe

Sorian said... / October 9, 2009 at 8:09 AM  

No idea.

Peter said... / October 9, 2009 at 9:12 AM  

Hi Sorian,

I have to tell you that I personally prefer last.FM. I think its better than Pandora, but its long time ago I used it (Pandora), so maybe it improved.

Check it out, its really nice, if you have a smartphone you can use it even there.
Have fun, Ed :)

Sorian said... / October 9, 2009 at 9:50 AM  

Yeah, my iPhone is where I found out about pandora. Will take a look at last.fm also.

Sorian said... / October 9, 2009 at 10:42 PM  

Finally tracked down the problem with word verification. Should be fixed now.

GĂ„sen (The Goose) said... / October 10, 2009 at 3:30 AM  

Personally, I use Spotify for streaming music... I think it's only supposed to be available in some countries in Europe so far, but if you go through a proxy through say, England, you could get it. It's really nice... they have insane amounts of music in their library and the client program is good too.

John said... / October 10, 2009 at 6:41 AM  

As a modder I find it interesting what you do when your code is compiling, because none of my projects have gotten to the point where compiling took more than a minute or two.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the new Demigod update, because you seem excited about it. Any news on the naval screenshot of SupCom 2?

mocafrost said... / October 10, 2009 at 8:38 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
mocafrost said... / October 10, 2009 at 8:41 AM  

It's always cool when you can get excited about your job, and Sorian has that dream situation. I love my primary job (what I always wanted to do). It's the thing that helps me put up with all of the surrounding BS. Is morale pretty high as a whole at GPG?

Post a Comment