The game is actually fun

I got my first play test in today and I have to say the game is fun. It was me and Matt versus Gordon and Aaron. I didn't end up doing all that well for 2 reasons. 1) I started out playing like it was Forged Alliance and I built too many factories and 2) I neglected my research.

I didn't really notice a difference playing with the new economy. Queuing was a bit of a hassle if I didn't have the resources, but I hope that gets changed a bit. Creating hordes of units was just as easy with the new economy as it was with the old. You queue up the units you want built and turn on repeat build, not hard. The factories build quite a bit faster than in Forged Alliance so the games pace is really nice.

I got assigned to Demigod again today to add in the Demigod lobby movies and add a few new features for the next patch. I hope to set aside some more time Monday to see if I can repro that desync bug. If I can't repro it I'll just have to hope Spooky and his friends can.

Supreme Commander 2 development is in high gear. We have another milestone deadline approaching and there is still a lot of work to get done. There has been a lot of performance optimizations going in lately so the game is running really smooth now. The game I played today was on a release build (not as optimized as a retail build) and there were only a few hiccups.

Some of the new features going in make me wish I could go add them to Forged Alliance. Overall, I think a lot of the people whining and moaning about the game are going to be in for a nice surprise, if they even bother to take a look at the game. The team has been hard at work fixing a lot of the things the fans have been clamoring for. Don;t get me wrong, there is still a lot of work to be done and fans will have to get used to the new economy system (not that hard, seriously), get used to research (again, not that hard), but with the new features going in and the engine optimizations I think the fans will be in for a seriously fun game.

I have been getting question about the missing screen shot. Well, I was given permission to post the screen shot a little too early it seems. Apparently Square Enix saw the screen shot posted on the Gas Powered Games forums and followed it back here, although I am not sure how. So, I got asked to take the screen shot down. No big deal, at least you guys got to see it before it was taken down.

If anyone is curious what are office looks like there is an intel video up with brief glimpses of our work area. You can see some of the team, including me. It is more of an advertisement for intel, but there is some gameplay footage as well. Might be worth a look: http://cariplus.co.cc/2009/10/intel-ssd-gas-powered-games/

10 comments:

mocafrost said... / October 24, 2009 at 1:36 AM  

Your milestones come fast. It will be great when we can see the fruits of your labor too. Thanks for the link... interesting clips within that video. I wonder what made the explosion that killed everything but the megalith. Tell us how you like the research when you remember to use it.

aurelwuensch said... / October 24, 2009 at 1:47 AM  

sounds good, and its good news that SE still reads the forums :P

Sorian said... / October 24, 2009 at 2:50 AM  

The research is an interesting gameplay mechanic. It is going to take a little getting used to since I am used to a 2 resource system, but I think it adds some variety and depth to the game.

Christian said... / October 24, 2009 at 4:56 AM  

Queuing was a bit of a hassle if I didn't have the resources, but I hope that gets changed a bit.

=> I really hope they find a good way to fix that.

EdWood said... / October 24, 2009 at 12:00 PM  

@Mocafrost: Looks like the explosion was a nuke, maybe a Billy 2.0?
Looked very much like a small nuke.
Interesting footage, the ships designs looked awesome.

Ed :)

hugo_van_nigtevecht said... / October 24, 2009 at 3:55 PM  

Thnx for the blog today,

Your milestones are coming really fast, I hope not too fast because I don't think high pressure is good for creativity and the adding of new features.

Tobias Fong C.W. said... / October 24, 2009 at 9:36 PM  

Thank you very much.

Supreme Commander 2 sounds like it's going to be awesome! I can't wait for it. I just hope I get used to researching (since I played Starcraft too, maybe it won't be that hard).

Spank said... / October 25, 2009 at 12:06 PM  

Show a little more excitement man, "I have to say the game is fun"... honest? thats it???

aurelwuensch said... / October 26, 2009 at 2:57 PM  

fun is the ultimate goal of a game so I think its pretty enthusiastic :P

Spank said... / October 26, 2009 at 7:10 PM  

hes a dev, not a reviewer.

Post a Comment