I'll never use that in real life

I know I am not the only one that said "I'll never use that in real life" in my math class. Boy was I wrong. I got the opportunity to work on another really cool feature for Supreme Commander 2 today, but it required some math that I have never had to use before. It makes me wish I had focused more on math in high school. I've had to learn about vectors, quaternions, and matrices, and a heap of other stuff.

The most recent example of this was doing Oculus' Ball Lightning. Up until Wednesday Oculus' Ball Lightning would appear below him when summoned. This just looked sloppy and quite stupid. So, Wednesday morning I went in and changed it so that the Ball Lightning spawns in front of him, no matter what direction he is facing. This part wasn't difficult. What took some doing was making it so that the Ball Lightning (trying really hard not to type Balls, btw) would spawn in a row instead of all on top of each other. There was no function available to lua to do that, so I had to create a function in code callable from lua to get a vector cross product. Works great.

The 1.2 patch for Demigod was completed Wednesday. Stardock just needs to update impulse to support DLC before they can release the patch. Apparently, they also want to run a beta before releasing 1.2 to the general public. The delay is a good thing because it gives Patrick a chance to track down the desync on player disconnect issue before 1.2 is released. I have the utmost confidence that he will be able to track it down.

There has been some work recently on more screen shots of the game, so hopefully those make it out to the public soon. There has been a lot of work lately on the naval side of things and I am sure the fans will be quite pleased. I just wish I could post more details about it. My most recent SupCom 2 project was a blast. I had damn near every member of the team come by to check out my work today, including Chris Taylor. I can't wait for the supporting effects to go in, it will look awesome.

12 comments:

Dunbar said... / October 29, 2009 at 10:51 PM  

These tantalizing little blurbs on supcom 2 always make my day. :-)

sexmotron said... / October 30, 2009 at 1:27 AM  

Sorian = u Rock !

The blog is super. Helps us imagine it all a little bit better. Keep up the great work. Post MORE often and kick some sc2 bug butt !


FrogNuker

:)

Christian said... / October 30, 2009 at 2:19 AM  

I hope that soon SE and GPG allow you to give us more screens, or what I even would like more would be some new ingame trailer. Something like battle reports in SC II would be cool, yet I see it might be too early for something like that.

Greetings, kryo

Sevenix said... / October 30, 2009 at 5:11 AM  

Great to hear the demigods are done, And cant wait for more SupCom 2 Screenies :D

Sevenix said... / October 30, 2009 at 5:28 AM  

btw Sorian do 1.2 include everything that was discussed in an early stage, I know the 2 demigods are in, but what about the mod support?

Also, check your private messages at demigod forums, sent you 2 invites to Ready2Play.

Sorian said... / October 30, 2009 at 9:48 AM  

On our end, 1.2 includes mod support. Not sure what Stardock plans.

DeadMG said... / October 30, 2009 at 6:39 PM  

VDot
INFO: Dot product of two vectors

LUADOC says that FA, at least, already included all the vector functions.

Can I ask if SC2 takes the same approach to modding as SC1, and will we get loadlib/io/os/dynamic mounting?

Sorian said... / October 30, 2009 at 8:07 PM  

Dot product is not the cross product. Dot product returns a scaler, I needed a vector.

No, I can't comment on the modding capability.

DeadMG said... / October 30, 2009 at 10:02 PM  

I've been pwned, and damn.

BulletMagnet said... / October 31, 2009 at 8:39 PM  

\lua\utilities.lua:114

it appears i've beaten the mighty Sorian.

Sorian said... / October 31, 2009 at 9:31 PM  

That function does not exist in the Demigod version of \lua\utilities.lua, only the SC/FA one.

Nice try :)

BulletMagnet said... / October 31, 2009 at 10:13 PM  

a victory, even if it was short lived, is still a victory.

also, get on Wave.

Post a Comment