My second play test

I had my second play test today, and it was a LOT more fun. It was the same four of us as last time except that I was paired with Aaron versus Matt and Gordon. Aaron came by my desk before the match started to remind me to do research during the game. I definitely remembered this time.

We played our match on the map I used for the screen shot I posted. It is a fairly large map, so I decided to go full on air and played as UEF. I started out by building a mass extractor, power generator, and an air factory. I then built on the other 2 mass spots in my base, another air factory and then sent an engineer out to build on 2 more mass spots near my base. I built a few fighters and started scouting around to see what was up. I built a few bombers and went after one of Gordon's mass extractors. Unfortunately he had it protected with mobile AA and a couple AA defense so I backed off. I built a third air factory and a radar station.

I put my air factories on repeat build building 1 fighter and 2 gunships and start to mass up a group to do some hunting. I also put some defenses in my main base and a bit around my outlying mass extractors. Once I have about 14 or so gunships and about 8 fighters I go after the mass spot I backed off from before. I blow up his mass extractor and pull my gunships out as his fighters head in. He did not chase me. He rebuilt the mass extractor so I grabbed some more gunships and fighters, bound the groups to keys, and went after mass extractor again.

I sent in my gunships first and started wreaking havoc, taking out the mass extractor first. He brought in his fighter again, but my fighters intercepted them first. He took out a chunk of my fighting group, but I came out on top. I grabbed some more units, formed them up, and went after another mass extractor. This time I didn't meet any resistance.

Since I didn't meet any resistance I decided to move in on his main base. I kept my fighters out of AA range and only sent them in to take out the fighters that Matt was sending in to help defend Gordon. I sent my gunships after his mass extractors first, then his power generators, and then went after his factories. I was mopping up the rest of his units when he decided to control-k his ACU in an attempt to take out my gunships to save Matt from the same fate. Unfortunately, the game desynced at that point (still alpha, so it happens). Total game time: about 18 minutes.

I have said it a few times, but I will reiterate it here; the new economy does not affect the gameplay at all. It is just as fast paced as Forged Alliance, if not more. The match we had was incredibly fun now that I have research down. Can't wait to play again next Friday.

16 comments:

Tobias Fong C.W. said... / October 30, 2009 at 9:33 PM  

Desynced? If you don't mind me asking, what's Desynced?

Anyway, sounds great! I'm a great fan of the UEF faction AND air units. If what you say is true, I'm going to focus on UEF all the way!

Cool! At least you're winning this time! Can't wait for the game now!

BulletMagnet said... / October 30, 2009 at 9:58 PM  

post a replay of the match...

DeadMG said... / October 30, 2009 at 10:01 PM  

GG running it without SC2.

It's good to hear that the game is still very fun.
Desynced means that the game didn't produce the same results on a computation and the different computers in the game think that the game turned out differently.

Nathan said... / October 31, 2009 at 12:52 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nathan said... / October 31, 2009 at 12:57 AM  

Just run the replay in Demigod you nub... ;)

I'm glad to hear SupCom 2 is taking shape Sorian. I was wondering though if it is possible to build the factory first and Mexxies and PGs later. It speeded up the early gameplay in FA and reduced the 'idle time' you have waiting for something to finish. Just an idea...

@Tobias: SupCom2, like all games based on the Moho engine, uses p2p and simulates the game on every PC (in a server-client system the simulation is only run by the server).
A desync happens when the data between 2 simulations doesn't add up anymore. E.g. in one simulation an explosion took out 5 gunships and for another player 8. The game detects a mismatch in the data and informs you of the desynced information. It's game over unfortunately as the participating players don't play the same game anymore. Thankfully it happens not very often.

Greetings Col. Jessep

Tobias Fong C.W. said... / October 31, 2009 at 3:46 AM  

Thank you both very much, DeadMG and Nathan, for explaining it to me.

But I think the reason why Sorian built the Mass Extractor and Power Generator ahead of the Air Factory was because it required more mass and energy than the Land Factory. Another reason is that in the new version, there's a new economy system that does not allow us to build stuff (in this case, a factory) if we don't have the resources for it to prevent stalling in the earlier versions. Building a factory first might lead to insufficient mass and energy to build a mass extractor and power generator later, I suppose.

This is purely projecture on my part, so there's an extremely high chance I am wrong.

mocafrost said... / October 31, 2009 at 8:53 AM  

Chances are that the economics will change a lot before release as they balance everything. I liked the fact that mass is still critical. The mexes were the high value targets (possibly even more than before) leading to more skirmishing.

EdWood said... / October 31, 2009 at 10:35 AM  

Damn, I think I am very close to sue Sorian.

He is talking about the game, he explains how he plays SC2 and we can't. This is very cruel and to some point torture. I want to play too, now. lol

Thx Sorian, sounds really interesting. I would like to know more about the research. Can you research Masspointupgrades? What kind of Airupgrades are available? So many questions.

Thx for this post and have a nice weekend, Ed :)

Sorian said... / October 31, 2009 at 11:30 AM  

I can't go into much detail about research, unfortunately.

Don't fret over the build order thing. I can't say why, but don't worry about it.

EdWood said... / October 31, 2009 at 1:03 PM  

Hi Sorian,

to the research thing, I have another question. Maybe you are allowed to say something to that.
In early interviews CT said that you can upgrade with experience points (earned through fights) or you can buy upgrades with eco.

So, still both possible or just experience points?

Greetings, Ed

Sorian said... / October 31, 2009 at 1:42 PM  

Research is basically like a third resource. I can't go into detail on how you receive research points, but rest assured Eric has been working hard to balance it so that you can get plenty of research no matter what your play style is.

To give you a reference point, I made it most of the way through the Air tree (through one branch) and part way up the structure tree in that game as well as a few more odds and ends in the Air tree. I had recently unlocked my first mini-experimental before the game ended.

The way Eric has this game balanced and the systems we have put in place practically ensure an epic fast paced battle.

EdWood said... / October 31, 2009 at 5:32 PM  

Thx for the quick answer.

I am really looking forward to it. I really hope there might be a beta. :)
I would love to do some testing and playing like I did with SC1. :)

Ed

Gåsen (The Goose) said... / October 31, 2009 at 6:12 PM  

Yeah, I'll just go with the others; thanks Sorian, for sharing all this. Your blog is one of my favourite places to go to when I feel bored, it's always really interesting to read - especially as I'd one day like to be in the industry myself and therefore am really interested in this kind of insider perspective, if you see what I mean.

Cheers from Sweden!
/Gås

mocafrost said... / October 31, 2009 at 9:29 PM  

I really can't wait to play. At least I'll soon have MW2 to hold me over somewhat. Thank you for all of the juicy tidbits.

Dunbar said... / October 31, 2009 at 10:27 PM  

All the discussion on the forums about the game speed being way to slow in comparison to FA; such as how units shoot and move... any comments Sorian?

Christian said... / November 2, 2009 at 5:41 AM  

Hi Sorian,
first comment and i have to say it. Best wishes in your new job from germany 8)

I had some ideas about features for SC/SC2, don't know where to leave them. So will post them here ;)

What about a swtichable priority list for attacks.
Like Distroy Anti Air first, Destroy Powergen / Mexes, Destroy Defense,...

In my opinion this would add mor tactical depth, without adding awfull micro.

You think this could be done with a mod for SC, without tu much work?

So far, looking forward to read more 8)

Post a Comment