AI, here I come

Note: Apparently Square Enix did not like my last blog entry. I am still not sure why, but I like my job and my kids enjoy eating on occasion, so I wont be posting any more play testing recaps. Sorry.

I got to start working on AI stuff today. Well, I didn't finish my last task until late in the day, so all I really got to do was be brought up to speed on the state of the AI and code a quick function before I left for the day. Looking forward to tomorrow when I will get to dig into the AI a bit more. I will be on the data side of things mostly and Dru will be the one doing the function and core side of things. This should be a lot of fun and I am really looking forward to it.

It has been a nice change of pace to only be on one project. Going back and forth on projects gets rough. Most of my work lately has been bug fixes, which is actually kind of nice because it gets me looking at all the different parts of the engine which makes things easier to find for future tasks.

I have now officially been working for Gas Powered Games for 2 months and I am still loving it. I am like a kid in a candy store. In the past I have always found it hard to get up to go to work in the morning. At this job getting there isn't an issue, it is leaving that I have a problem with. Many times I have found myself in the "one more build" mode where I keep telling myself I will try one more build before I leave. An hour later I remember I was supposed to be leaving. The funny thing is, even when I stay really late very rarely am I the last one to leave. Apparently I am not the only one that has a problem leaving.

12 comments:

mocafrost said... / November 3, 2009 at 10:15 PM  

We appreciate all of the sharing but don't get in trouble. It's good to hear once again about the GPG employee dedication. You working on the AI is a thing of beauty for the community.

Fingolfin said... / November 4, 2009 at 1:26 AM  

Seconded.

BulletMagnet said... / November 4, 2009 at 3:24 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robert said... / November 4, 2009 at 3:26 AM  

im not shure why Square Enix did not like ur last playtest porst. they should understand that it is more like a bonus of advertise for the game. it lets people get more hungry about the game. even for those wich are sceptic about the new economy. including me

BulletMagnet said... / November 4, 2009 at 3:48 AM  

i hope you're getting paid overtime penalties.

that said, i too am stuck in the perpetual last-one-for-the-day habit when it comes to coding. i'm pretty sure it's the thrill of the chase.

[PS:] on the upside about the epic saga of Sorian vs. Squeenix; it does mean they're paying attention to things other than milestones.

[PS:] damn misspellings.

Rebma Boss said... / November 4, 2009 at 9:35 AM  

"im not shure why Square Enix did not like ur last playtest porst. they should understand that it is more like a bonus of advertise for the game. it lets people get more hungry about the game. even for those wich are sceptic about the new economy. including me"

Which is why people are going to pay 180 dollars for the Starcraft 2 Trilogy

Rebma Boss said... / November 4, 2009 at 9:36 AM  

To continue on my last post, Blizzard is hiding almost nothing about the game. We have replays, photos, even stastics and numbers...

Sorian said... / November 4, 2009 at 9:43 AM  

If Square Enix wants to hide behind a veil of secrecy, then that is their decision. I certainly don't agree with it, but I definitely have to abide by it.

Also, I am not in danger of losing my job. GPG knows about my blog and I have asked the SC2 lead and Servo to keep an eye on it and let me know if anything goes over the line. Apparently their idea of the line and SE's were a bit different and SE was not happy. Oh well.

Zach said... / November 4, 2009 at 12:01 PM  

Say Sorian, as a concerned member of the fandom, is there anything we can do to encourage an open policy on devlogs, or information distribution about the game?

I understand the reservations some might have ni allowing a free flow, but if SE allows alpha builds to be played at game cons, the videos of which can be (and unfortunately have been) freely speculated upon, then reliable information straight from a dev. surely can't be any worse for PR.

Sorian said... / November 4, 2009 at 1:53 PM  

@Zach: Apparently SE feels otherwise. Nothing I mentioned in my post (other than how long we played) was anything that can't be found out from watching the various videos or reading the many interviews available on the internet, but they still didn't like it. Still not sure why.

vaughan_o_gibson said... / November 4, 2009 at 2:47 PM  

They are not upset cos you said the game desync d after 18 minutes are they? Sort of suggests that this issue is always going to be present and that their game is flawed.

GĂ„sen (The Goose) said... / November 5, 2009 at 12:31 PM  

Oh, even I as a noob hobby programmer can recognize the "just one more build" problem. It actually had me stay up until 3.30 am last night, when I were supposed to be on the bus to school 4 hours later. Heh.

Post a Comment