Demigod...again

Got assigned to work on the Demigod patch yet again today. Hopefully it will be the last time for a while. This back and forth stuff gets a little frustrating. I was put back on Demigod to make some changes regarding Demigod DLC that was not in the first batch of changes that Stardock sent us. The latest build should have gone back to them this evening, so barring any more last minute change requests by Stardock, 1.2 should be ready to go as soon as Stardock QA approves it.

At least something good came of the last minute additions, I was able to sneak a few more fixes in. I was asked to give an estimate on the amount of time it would take me to get the new changes in and I replied that it would take a half to full day. Luckily, I was ahead of schedule when I had completed the tasks, so I figured I would use that time to add some more fixes.

Patrick had spent some time trying to fix the endless connectivity screen/desync bug but had run out of time to do any more testing (he is working on 2 projects at the moment). I volunteered to test it and after several test games where 1 of the participants lost connection I did not get a single desync or endless connectivity screen. Hopefully this means it is fixed.

We did not get a chance to create a new animation for Torch Bearer, so I went ahead and made a modification to have Torch Bearer use his fire attack animation as his attack move animation. Since he is floating anyway it should look fine. It will be far better than before. I also got a chance to fix his Ring of Fire so that casting a second ring and then having the first ring expire will not cause both rings to disappear.

After all that, it was back to the Supreme Commander 2 AI. Patrick says the AI is finally giving him a run for his money now. I am sure Dru can still beat it fairly easily. I haven't tried yet. I am finally digging into the core of the AI more rather than just balancing things. Dru and I have a long list of things we want to get done, just hope we have time for all the really cool stuff.

10 comments:

Sevenix said... / November 11, 2009 at 1:57 AM  

Awesome!, Stardock said they would release the patch today (wednesday) so I hope they are still on schedule.
Good thing fixing the TB attack btw, rather have it look a bit awkward then not work at all.

Tobias Fong C.W. said... / November 11, 2009 at 5:28 AM  

Cool. Good to know about the AI. Are we going to have normal AI and AI-X again like in Forged Alliance?

It'd be cool if we had a variety of AI to choose from like last time (rusher, turtler, blanaced). I'm looking forward to it!

Fingolfin said... / November 11, 2009 at 6:30 AM  

Curious: do the Stardock QA Team sign-off on things which only interact with the Stardock software, or are they actually providing general QA for Demigod, perhaps working alongside GPG's own QA team? I assumed they'd have nothing to do with things like gameplay testing as there'd be an in-house team for that...

Sorian said... / November 11, 2009 at 10:04 AM  

Until recently GPG has not had its own QA team. We currently have an on-site team for SC2. Stardock handles all Demigod QA.

BulletMagnet said... / November 11, 2009 at 2:59 PM  

what can you tell us about Sup2's QA crew?

Suecae Sounds said... / November 11, 2009 at 5:38 PM  

Interesting. I am looking forward for Demigod 1.2 very much. It is interesting to see what happens behind the scenes.

Garrett Harmon said... / November 11, 2009 at 6:53 PM  

Awesome! I can't wait to play fire TB again.

Nathan said... / November 12, 2009 at 2:52 AM  

Sorian, great job on Torchy! And thank you for the bug fixing, especially for taking a look at the desync/connectivity problems!

And I know you want to spend as much time on the SupCom2 AI as possible but think about it this way: Every change you make to Demigod will improve the online experience dramatically and there is a good bunch of people here who appreciate every minute you put into new features and bug fixing.

The desync, Tochy fire mode improvements, the AI balancing changes... these have an immense impact on the whole Demigod online community even if they might look like minor fixes in the change log!

Or let's take the balancing changes for flag locks, probably a change done in minutes but it will change gameplay on Cataract, Zikurat and Mandala. Chain locking portals was much too easy and an increase to 2 seconds cast time will give the defending team a fair chance to interrupt the lock in time.

Thx,GL;HF
Col. Jessep

CasualSax said... / November 12, 2009 at 7:52 AM  

Ditto what Nathan said.

Demigod is such a great game, these patches - even the little ones - make a huge difference to us competitive players. Thanks for taking the time - not just saying "I did what I was asked" and grabbing a beer speaks a lot.

So cheers, and thanks for the hard work. :)

Michael - FutileEmotion

manaknightangel said... / November 12, 2009 at 10:19 AM  

Thanks for all your hard work, even the casual players really appreciate it. As a supreme commander player, I also wish you well on sup com 2 :)

Post a Comment