Milestone 14

Well, milestone 14 is fast approaching. Even faster because of the holiday four day weekend. Although, there are some people that are going to be in the office Friday, and possibly Saturday and Sunday. Luckily, I do not have as much on my plate as some, so I can take the holiday.

While talking to Servo on Wednesday I found out that at least half of the SC2 team has been staying late for at least the past week and a half. It is definitely crunch time. We only have about 2 weeks left until the end of this milestone (December 11th), and it is a big one. I am amazed at the amount of progress that has been made on this game in such a short amount of time.

Progress continues to be made on the AI. I had quite a few large check-ins this week and last week. I think a lot of the core stuff for the AI is there, I am down to coding support for specific unit stuff, mostly. Hopefully most of the specific case stuff will be in early next week. After that it will be balancing the AI. Dru and I have been balancing the AI bit by bit as we go, but the balance has kept changing. We should have it pretty solid here soon.

I still haven't been able to wrap my head around Dru's work. He said he would go over it with me next week, so I am really looking forward to that. With this project getting nearer to completion I am also looking forward to the next project, whatever that may be. It will be my first project that I participate in where I was there from the start. It should give me new insight into how projects are started and where the ideas for some of the crazy things that go into a game come from. I am truly looking forward to that. I will also have to find a way to blog about it without being able to even hint at the genre. Should be an interesting experience.

9 comments:

olivier said... / November 26, 2009 at 1:23 PM  

Sorian would you be able to explain to us what's the difference between alpha and beta stage ? Is there something specific that makes the game not being in alpha stage anymore ? a few month ago i was at a video game even in France and i could talk to people from UbiSoft about R.U.S.E. and they told me that alpha was over when the entire engine and features were implemented and only game content remained to be done. Is this the same for Supcom 2 ?

Sub said... / November 26, 2009 at 5:07 PM  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

Sorian said... / November 26, 2009 at 7:38 PM  

What Sub said.

DuncanE said... / November 26, 2009 at 9:37 PM  

Hi Sorian

Enjoying the blog. Any idea how many hits you are getting?

I would be interested to hear more about the development tools you use and how it compares to moding. In particluar how do you work with the lua script and what debug tools do you have.

Cheers
duncane

EdWood said... / November 26, 2009 at 11:29 PM  

Hi Sorian,

sounds very good so far. Its a big milestone this time, hm, do I smell a beta coming? That would be great, just in time with my new PC. :)

Anyway, must be great to see the game finally comes to an end and that you can see the results of months of hard work.

Have a nice Weekend, Ed

Sevenix said... / November 27, 2009 at 8:55 AM  

Gosh cant believe SupCom2 is so close to release already :D
Thanks for the info Sorian

Sorian said... / November 28, 2009 at 11:31 AM  

@Duncane: I didn't have anything installed to track page hits, so you got me curious. I installed a stat counter yesterday and have had a little over 200 hits over the past 24 hours.

I will go over tools and such in a future post.

Dunbar said... / November 28, 2009 at 1:32 PM  

Is it hard to get the AI to do research properly? Or is that working out fine...

Sorian said... / November 28, 2009 at 2:12 PM  

Actually, I made a nice function to make research a lot easier.

Post a Comment