Very busy week

I got a flat tire on the way in to work today, so I had to spend my lunch break getting it fixed. While I was waiting on that I had written a nice long blog entry on my iPhone, but couldn't get it posted. Oh well. Things have been so hectic this week that this little tire problem was the first significant downtime I have had all week. I have put in 44 hours so far this week and the milestone draws ever closer.

Patch 1.2 for Demigod was released today, finally. I hope those of you who have access to the new Demigods are enjoying them. Demon Assassin is still my favorite. There is just something about Warp Area. Some people have said that Torch Bearer's ability to attack while moving in Fire form is not fixed. I will be talking with Brian (someone who knows quite a bit more about the animation system than I do) tomorrow about this issue. Code-wise, TB should work fine, but I have a feeling there is something in the animation that is not allowing him to move. If this is the case than only a new animation will fix it and that will be up to Stardock.

I have been truly enjoying my work on the Supreme Commander 2 AI. It is quite different being on this side of things. I have the ability to all debug tools into the game that allow me to see exactly what the AI is doing at any time. I can see where its expansion bases are, what the status of them is, and where it wants to expand to next. It makes altering the AIs behavior a lot easier.

I have been working on a lot more of the core AI stuff than I think anyone had anticipated. Originally I was supposed to basically be the one who blanaced out the AI and worked more on the data driven side of things. Lately my work has been more on the core side of things. I have been programming things like how the AI decides where to expand, how it reacts to intel, and how it controls it platoons. This has given Dru a lot more time to do other cool stuff for the AI.

All in all I am still loving my job. Maybe I should ask for a raise :)

17 comments:

EdWood said... / November 19, 2009 at 11:27 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
EdWood said... / November 19, 2009 at 11:30 PM  

Thx for the information.
Sounds pretty nice, although I guess you are not using that Neural Net AI for SC2. Anyway, make this game and the AI a burner, then after the huge commercial success, ask for a raise. :)

Ed

Sevenix said... / November 20, 2009 at 5:47 AM  

Sorian, I found some bugs and stuff playing the new demigods, where would be the best place to report them?

Tobias Fong C.W. said... / November 20, 2009 at 10:33 AM  

Cool! Anyway, Square Enix has announced that you guys will be releasing Supreme Commander 2 on March 6th (I only have a PC). So what are your opinions on this? Are you on track for this release? Do you feel more pressure to meet that target date, or are you confident everything will proceed smoothly?

Either way, I can't wait to see this game from you guys! It looks great!

P.S. Is the King Cryptor or giant robot that looks like Transformers, a UEF unit?

Sorian said... / November 20, 2009 at 12:32 PM  

@Sevenix: Post them at the Stardock forums.

@Tobias: Honestly, I wish we had more time to work on the game. I think we will get it done, just wish it wasn't so rushed so we could get some other really cool ideas in.

Matti said... / November 20, 2009 at 2:16 PM  

That's why I never really liked "release dates."

It sets a limit, a final point at which everything needs to be done. "It's done when it's done" is a much better policy.

-Mazrix

Tobias Fong C.W. said... / November 20, 2009 at 7:51 PM  

Sorry, I made a mistake. It's 2nd March, not 6th March. 16th March is the release of the Xbox version (I don't have the console, so I don't really care) and I ended up mixing them up.

Is it possible for you to petition and appeal to the higher-ups in extending the deadline and allowing you guys more time to work on the game? I mean, while not as exaggerated as Blizzard, but at least follow their policy of ensuring a quality product that takes as much time as needed. Can't you just tell the higher-ups straight in their faces what you guys think? I agree with Matti that "it's done when it's done" is a much better policy.

But at least it gives us something to laugh over Starcraft fans. They have to wait 12 years for their highly anticipated sequel while we only need 3 years (less, maybe)... Ha ha ha! SC rules over SC! Oops, I mean Supreme Commander rules over Starcraft!

Ireneusz said... / November 20, 2009 at 8:14 PM  

sorian what you think about 1.2 patch for demigod? Do you think it was rashed out?
I mean failing to fix bug that is now over 6 months old (tb fire aa) is a bit too much in my opinion. Also after instaling patch many people have noticed increase number of crashes, freezes, disconection (some people cant enter lobby games, and its freakin hard to get pantheon game going) I would like to know you opinion about that since you are "our inside man".

Ireneusz said... / November 20, 2009 at 8:23 PM  

i just saw your mod for fire tb. thanks for spending time on that

Sorian said... / November 20, 2009 at 8:28 PM  

Tb fire aa?

Stardock QA did not report any issues like what you are describing. If they had we would have looked into it.

Ireneusz said... / November 21, 2009 at 3:31 PM  

Ahh. SO if it works for them it must for us too...
That thinking does not resolve problems.
Read up demigod problem reports section of the forum. U would be suprised. Until you do that this discussion is pointless

Sorian said... / November 21, 2009 at 4:36 PM  

Stardock needs to read that section, not me. I don't dictate what gets fixed, unfortunately.

EdWood said... / November 21, 2009 at 6:39 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
hax said... / November 21, 2009 at 10:31 PM  

I realize that this probably isn't the ideal place for a feature request, but you seem engaged and responsive, so what the hey :)

I'm wondering if work has been done on the patrol or waypoint system to allow for "persistent patrols", where additional units could be assigned to an existing patrol path. It always kind of bugged me in SupCom that if you ordered your planes to attack something, you couldn't put them back on the same path as they were on before. If you had an air factory sending its produced units to a patrol path, you couldn't put existing units on that same path. This made managing patrols of units which would both need to be replaced as they died and you would occasionally give direct orders to was cumbersome.

I realize it's probably not the area you're working on, but I'd love to know if it's being worked on. Keep up the great work! The game sounds amazing so far!

Sorian said... / November 21, 2009 at 11:54 PM  

Best I can do is pass the message on. No promises, though.

Sevenix said... / November 23, 2009 at 2:50 PM  

Sorian, would like to know if SupCom2 will have full amBx support, just like Forged Alliance got in a patch. Perhaps that code has been kept for SupCom2 and perhaps it is even in Demigod?

Fingolfin said... / November 25, 2009 at 4:10 PM  

@hax
That's a *fantastic* suggestion!

@sorian
Just curious (and thanks for your responses so far, much appreciated); how many folks would you say (in terms of the core/office team) are working on Supcom2? Just interested to know what sort of production scale we're looking at here, what a busy GPG office really looks like, etc. Thanks again!

Post a Comment