On to Kings and Castles

Work on AI updates for Supreme Commander 2 has officially stopped, unless something breaks. I have now been moved to Kings and Castles to do the work on the AI for that game. I am really excited. I am like a kid in a candy store that has been told I can have anything I want, and as much as I want, for no charge. This AI isn't exactly a blank canvas, but it is blank enough. Besides, the parts that aren't blank are the basic systems that I probably wouldn't change much about anyway.

I was able to make quite a few more improvements to the SupCom 2 AI before work halted on it. So far, the feedback from the people who have tested it is the Hard AI is challenging and fun. Hopefully the majority of players agree. It will absolutely destroy the AI mods that exists, which is unfortunate, but I also added some more stuff for the modders to play with, so hopefully it evens out.

I still have a nice long list of things I want to add to the SupCom 2 AI (my whiteboard is almost full) and I hope I get an opportunity to implement at least of few of the major ones. If not, you will definitely get to see them in Kings and Castles. The beauty of doing the Kings and Castles AI is the framework is already there. I will (and have already started) have to update a few things to work with the new game, but the majority of the framework can remain unchanged. This will, theoretically, give me more time to do other cool stuff with the AI.


The AI patch for SupCom 2 is tentatively scheduled for later this week (according to the post here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1211680). Now, that is by no means definite, but I am hopeful. I have comp stomps waiting.

10 comments:

Calavoow said... / April 6, 2010 at 10:56 PM  

Cool! I will be on the lookout for these updates. As honestly, the hard AI at the moment isn't much better than the AI Adaptive in Supreme Commander 1. I beat one on my own in my second game of Supcom 2 ever, while I didn't know what upgrades and tech trees there really were, etc.

New features, eh? I'm looking forward to seeing them!

MeDDish said... / April 7, 2010 at 12:38 AM  

well i hope u enjoyed making the AI, and i hope u have manage to make it at least a challenge :) cant wait for the next patch!
Also im now looking forward to K&C just because ur working on the AI from the ground up!
please make sure that a medium AI will at least put up a constant fight against a 'good' player!

and now i know ur working on the AI for K&C im now looking forward to it, im guessing its still 12+ months away

and if by any chance i could have the Honour of Beta testing the K&C AI u have built from the ground up just to help make it as challenging as possible!

u can grab me any time on this gmail account, or steam

EdWood said... / April 7, 2010 at 9:24 AM  

Hm, Sorian the AI master...or should I say, you are Brackman?

Come on Sorian tell us the truth, you are the father of the future Cybrans... :)

Keep up the good work and I am really seeing into your changes...

Have a nice day and time at GPG. :)

Brian said... / April 7, 2010 at 1:32 PM  

Kinda sad the updates will destroy my ai mod, but I sorta figured that would happen when I started work on it. Luckily most of the time I've spent on it was more learning how it works rather than actual modding.

Hopefully the new AI is so good that it won't require mods to improve it. I would really prefer to make AI mods that are more specialized/unique, rather than just working to improve the default AIs.

can't wait to see it, keep up the good work!
-Machater

Sven said... / April 7, 2010 at 1:45 PM  

Brian (or is it Machater), where is your mod available?
Or in general, where does one go to find mods for supcom2 ?

Waiting for the patch, I thought I'd give ur ai mod a try

Sven said... / April 7, 2010 at 1:46 PM  

btw, Can't wait to try out the new patch.
Kudos to Sorian for the hard work (or was it not?)

Sven said... / April 7, 2010 at 2:43 PM  

Machater, it's ok, I found it. Kinda hard to use the gpg mod forums as it's a huge mixpot but finally found it.

├Žsir said... / April 8, 2010 at 10:48 AM  

Looking forward to the updates.

Khobbits said... / April 8, 2010 at 7:12 PM  

I don't really see it mentioned in the news announcement.... http://store.steampowered.com/news/3685/
I'm guessing this means the AI updates didn't make it into the patch? If not do you have any idea on when they got rolled in, if so, did all of the previous listed updates get approved?

EaglePryde said... / April 19, 2010 at 12:19 AM  

@ Sorian (AI patch)

Well...AI patch is out and so far it really has improved by a great deal. It is really more interessting to fight the AI now.

Wish you would stay with SC2 AI until it's in a state where you could say it's nearly finished.

You really know your stuff and we always know that if you're on the job it turns out to be by far better then bevor. Wish we could have that kind of faith in other dev's what mostly isn't fullfilled due to many reasons.

best of luck for KK and i hope well see you around for some SC2 AI bashing in the future

Post a Comment