Patch 1.14 is live

Patch 1.14 is live and in the wild. The patch debuts the AI Team Manager, a system that allows the AI to work together when on the same team. I am very excited to see this finally out in retail. I was able to do things that I could only dream of doing in SC/FA, like having the AIs group units from multiple AIs into one platoon to be controlled by one AI. They also pass the word along if they start taking Nuke or Artillery damage. I hope this makes the AI more fun to play against.

Patch notes for 1.14: http://store.steampowered.com/news/?feed=steam_updates&appids=40100

I spent a couple of days last week working in VB Script, something I haven't touched since High School, and hope to not have to do again for a while. It is kind of rewarding getting some features into an internal tool that have been wanted for quite a while, especially when they said it couldn't be done. I also had to work with 3dsMax scripts for the first time. It is always interesting trying to fix bugs in a language you have never used before, but it had to get done. I needed the exporters to work for....wait, I can't talk about that yet. Ha ha.

I have also spent a good chunk of this week working on Demigod fixes. Apparently Stardock has sent us a list of bugs they would like to see fixed, and I am happy to oblige. It gives me a reason to kick some AI butt with Demon Assassin on work hours. I did manage to fix a bug that has been bothering me since the last patch, which is nice. As per usual, I don't have a time frame. I am hoping a build gets put together tomorrow and then it will have to go through Stardock QA.

16 comments:

olivier said... / May 6, 2010 at 10:46 PM  

Thanks a lot Sorian for all these good news ! Obviously being a content engineer may sometimes be frustrating but for sure seems to be one of the most enriching (getting lots of skills) position to learn a lot and being able to work on anything ;)

Mazrix said... / May 6, 2010 at 11:50 PM  

So how hard is the AI these days? I still haven't gotten to try it out because of my dying GPU, but the AI is seriously starting to sound self-aware.
-Maz

Spooky said... / May 7, 2010 at 12:40 AM  

I hope either you guys or Stardock is also having a look at the Demigod Uberfix Mod :). There are *a lot* of simple fixes, that should definitely be in an official patch.

BulletMagnet said... / May 7, 2010 at 2:41 AM  

awesome update.

it's very much appreciated.

EmperorPenguin said... / May 7, 2010 at 6:13 AM  

Sorian, that new AI is bloody awesome! I was already quite impressed with what we were seeing in your previous update, and already found it quite challenging. You've taken it up yet another notch, though.

I've only had chance to play one games against it so far, but it was awesome (and devastating) to see two AI players combine their platoons and march in formation. I had six universal collosi shoved down my throat, which was very unexpected (I did a poor job scouting obviously :)).

Good job!

Sorian said... / May 7, 2010 at 9:48 AM  

Glad to hear you guys are liking the AI. I had an epic battle last night myself.

ptarth said... / May 7, 2010 at 10:52 AM  

Sorian has already been helpful in my work on the UberFix. I have no doubt he will continue to be helpful and to do everything he can on his side to fix Demigod. Plus, I'm sure that GPG & SD are more than aware of all the work we've done.

Telpeurio said... / May 7, 2010 at 10:33 PM  

Sir, could you consider looking at a bug (or was it intended?) that allows people to "stack" items of the same class when you should only be able to wear one? For instance, a common tactic online is to stack 5 armors which give insane health. A person could not conceivably wear 4 or 5 pairs of boots or gloves... So why does the game?

Joe Kaplan said... / May 8, 2010 at 12:03 PM  

Getting my ass handed to me by the Hard AI. I'm really interested in copying some it's ideas and using them online. But can anybody tell me if the Hard AI cheats? That may explain why I get killed when I try to mirror it's builds.

├Žsir said... / May 10, 2010 at 8:36 AM  

@Joe:
Hard 'cheats' in some respect, through production bonuses and such (even "Normal" gets a radar range bonus). Some details are here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14661996&postcount=2

olivier said... / May 10, 2010 at 1:06 PM  

By the way Sorian, I hope GPG has serious plans for Supcom 2 multiplayer because to be honest there are less and less playerss online .... Demigod Syndrome ?

Excerion said... / May 11, 2010 at 2:30 AM  

Great work with the AI so far Sorian!

However i'm wondering, is the AI getting a handicap in the form of increased damage and/or HP? For some reason when you play att the Cheating difficulty it feels like the AI's units are a lot stronger than yours (when everything's maxed out)

If this is the case, could you add an option for this so we can turn it off? i don't mind if the AI is cheating in the resources department or the build-time department in fact i welcome it, but I don't like that the AI's are getting stronger units.

Also is there anyway for you or GPG to implement so you can see the actual HP numbers of your enemies units like you can with your own?

Also I miss FA's unit tooltips that showed exactly what types of weapon batteries, sensors, etc any given unit had.

Sorian said... / May 11, 2010 at 10:26 AM  

The AI is not getting stronger units, it is probably just getting research faster and it has a faster veterancy rate.

Brian said... / May 12, 2010 at 12:52 PM  

Cheat AI's units start with 1 star veterancy, Hard AI's units start with 25% of 1 star finished.

Sorian said... / May 12, 2010 at 2:36 PM  

@Brian: News to me. They don't do that on my machine.

Brian said... / May 14, 2010 at 10:50 PM  

VeterancyLevel = {
Add = 1.0,
},

...ill just send you a PM

Post a Comment