Patch 1.23

Patch 1.23 came out for Supreme Commander 2 last week and brought with it the infinite build queue system. This system allows players to queue up build commands as much as they want, whether they have the resources for it or not. This means players don't have to wait for the resources to be available before placing a building and don't have to check their factories to see if they paused themselves. I think that was worth calling it a "big change", don't you?

Patch 1.23 also included the new AI neural networks. This has given the AI's platoons a much needed boost to their intelligence. So much so that they may have become a little too timid. Previously, the AIs platoons would move back and forth because of a bug in the neural networks that would give them bad data and make them make bad decisions. Now, the neural networks have become smart enough to recognize bad decisions and it makes them not want to take any risks. They always want to have the advantage.

The solution, in my opinion, is the yappy dog approach. You know, that annoying small dog that thinks it is a doberman. We can take a queue from the small yappy dog and make the AIs platoons think they are bigger than they really are. When we get the data for the platoon and enemies for the neural network we can adjust the platoons numbers by a multiplier, say 25%. So, if the platoon had 100 DPS, we would raise that to 125 and send that data to the neural network. That way, the AIs platoons still get valid data back from the neural network and will still run if they are greatly outnumbered. But, if it is close, they will attack. This will give players the sense that the AI is being more aggressive and will push the AI to take more chances. Now, this is no guarantee that this change will make it out in a patch, that isn't up to me.

I spent most of last week integrating all of my recent AI changes over to Kings and Castles in preparation for full production. I can't wait to get started. I will be the Lead AI Engineer on the project so this will truly be my baby and I hope to get the opportunity to really push the limits of RTS AI design.

Lately, I have been trying to become more active in the AI community and hope to utilize AIGameDev.com as a resource to help me take RTS AI to the next level. So far, I think Supreme Commander 2's AI is a great starting point.

12 comments:

M Farzzezin zenin bden said... / October 10, 2010 at 11:55 PM  

cant get wait to get the patch. and a way to go sorian!!! i give you 2 thumbs up, no, 10 if i had 5 hand. looking forward for kings and castles,

Calavoow said... / October 11, 2010 at 8:06 AM  

Oh wow, you must be pretty excited about your position at Kings and Castles! I wish you good luck. We'll see what you come up with ;)

EmperorPenguin said... / October 13, 2010 at 2:22 PM  

That's terrific, can't wait to see this in a patch and see what you do with K&C.

Derek said... / October 16, 2010 at 7:12 PM  

Sorian, are you done with SC2 Ai developement? If so, just ignore this, but if you are not, I'd like to email you a saved online game 2human v 2ai, hard turtle and a hard air, they got smoked on a huge 4v4 map, with no exclusions, i'm not sure how often you look at ai vs human situations for the neural networks, but i'm not so sure the ai's knew what to do, what do you say?

Brady said... / October 18, 2010 at 2:12 PM  

My friends and I have been having a lot of fun with the new patch playing vs. AI. It is worlds better than the old version. We do seem to regularly run into situations though where the AI has 'won' but doesn't realize it. In the last 3 on 1 game for example, he rolled two of the players and stood outside the door of the 3rd with about 15 super units but wouldn't press the attack. This may be the timid behavior you talked about in your post, but he basically just danced this big group of experimentals back and forth for an hour until the last guy figured out a way to come back and win. On another much larger map, we had a similar situation when the AI had an unstoppable forge of Soul Rippers but didn't want to make the finishing kill. SO, for our part, we hope there is another patch, but we've been fans of yours since SC1, and look forward to whatever is next. Keep up the good work.

Collin said... / October 18, 2010 at 10:40 PM  

I had that exact same situation, Brady. The AI had, oh, probably 150 soul rippers. I literally couldn't build enough anti-air to kill them all (I was resource poor and hiding in the ocean.) And yet those soul rippers just chilled...it was sad.

Steven said... / October 19, 2010 at 3:33 AM  

New patch is awesome
Means me and my mates can focus on some insane turtling in our FFAs
Or if we want to LOLnuke some noobs

Brandon said... / October 23, 2010 at 10:40 PM  

The AI seems quite confused most of the time, like it doesn't know what to do. They build up a good deal of experimentals but do nothing with them. Or they will come near me, then flee, come near me, then flee.

Brandon said... / October 23, 2010 at 10:42 PM  

Oh, and I forgot to mention. Not sure what has changed, but it appears my units give an allusion of not listening. The game becomes frustrating because I am not sure if they are doing what I want. The ferry system also seems broken. I can't have my factory go to a ferry rally point :(

The game is still probably one of the best RTS games out there despite all this. I just would like to see this fixed pretty soon.

Christien said... / October 26, 2010 at 7:03 PM  

I sure hope they fix it; the AI just doesn't attack enough. Co-Op games just aren't fun if the enemy never engages the front lines.

df said... / November 14, 2010 at 3:47 PM  

Hey dude,
Is there any news on when the AI adjustment is going live? I can't wait to actually have fun skirmishes again

greets,

Kevin Hurley said... / November 18, 2010 at 12:58 PM  

Just wanted to write a quick "thank you" for your amazing work on SupCom2. This is BY FAR the best RTS AI I've ever seen, and my buddy and I are having a blast playing it. GPG is lucky to have you. :)

Post a Comment