Back in the thick of it

Things have been very busy lately. Microsoft handed Age of Empires: Online development to us not too long ago, which meant that are current production schedule went out the window. Most of my work has still been in the UI and the backend support for the UI. Thankfully, I worked out a better work flow with Steve, so it is a lot easier on me and allows us to both be working on the UI at the same time. Previously, I would work out the initial layout, do all the supporting code, then send it to Steve. It would then come back to me to update the code for whatever changes Steve had made to my layout. It was quite frustrating. That and UI is not my favorite thing in the world, but the backend stuff is interesting.

This project has been quite interesting on the whole. I have had an opportunity to learn a lot more on this project than I have on the Supreme Commander 2 project. I think the reason for that has been because, unlike the SupCom 2 project, I am creating parts of the game from scratch and I own that part of the engine. This also means my code gets reviewed more often and more closely, which gives me the opportunity to learn. Thankfully, I haven't done anything that has made James want to throw me out a window, yet.

It looks like Microsoft is in the process of expanding the beta. Not sure if Curse.com still has keys left, but if you aren't in the beta yet head on over there and sign up.

One last piece of info. Servo has made a post over on the GPG forums asking people to submit any known game exploits to him so we can compile a list. No guarantees, of course, but do it anyway. His post can be found here: http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?p=895485#p895485.

3 comments:

M Farzzezin zenin bden said... / April 25, 2011 at 9:16 PM  

well it took some time for you to post here. but i wish you a good luck and best wishes for the future. hope you can create more post.

CasualSax said... / April 26, 2011 at 5:38 PM  

Thanks for the update! I've been curious about the AOEO (Wow does that sound funny :P) project, but I'm not sure about the pricing model, and if it will be deep enough strategically.

EdWood said... / May 5, 2011 at 8:31 PM  

Sorian more posts pls, always eager to read about your work. :)

About UI, I can imagine, it might not be the most interesting part to work on, but a good UI is soooo important and GPG did a lot of good work there. :)

So rock on and stay away from windows. :)

Post a Comment