Getting close

In a little over a month Age of Empires: Online will be released to the world. This will mark the second shipped game to go on my resume in as many years. Many game developers spend that long, or longer, just getting one shipped game, so I feel very fortunate have had the opportunities I have had thus far.

The game is looking better and better every day. We have managed to clean up a lot of the code base which is making our tasks easier as time goes on. I haven't had much game play work to do on this project, which has been frustrating, but understandable given the nature of the project. There have been glimpses of my work on the few video blogs that are out, such as the Defense of Crete UI and the player trading UI. It is amazing the amount of work that goes into seemingly simple tasks.

Work has already started on the design and art side for the next civilization, while the programmers (such as myself) continue to work on bug fixing and new feature work. Fixing bugs in this engine has proven to be complicated and tiring, but that is probably because the engine was created by another company and is organized quite differently than the SupCom engine. It has taken quite a while to get used to.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, for this phase at least. With a game like this there really isn't an end date. Patches will continue to be released at regular intervals as well as new civilizations and other content. This project wont be truly over for some time yet.

7 comments:

serge fjetland said... / July 10, 2011 at 6:27 PM  

Good to hear you are not Dead!

I look forward to AoE:o, but do wonder what happened to K&K, weather its still in the works or has been put to the side right now


Look forward to hearing more.

Corhen

CasualSax said... / July 11, 2011 at 6:03 PM  

Glad to hear about AOE:O, and that your once-every-other-month posting record is intact. :) I'm anxious to give it a shot with some of my friends, but have been wanting to wait until you guys iron out some of the kinks.

Serge - from what I remember, it was sidelined for want of a publisher. I'm sure they want to get back to work on it as much as we want them to.

Sorian said... / July 11, 2011 at 6:18 PM  

@CasualSax: My apologies. I wanted to post in June, but it was a very busy month. Between working weekends, family visits, and my daughter's birthday I just could not find the time. I actually had to post this blog on my laptop since my PC is dying.

I will try to do better.

@Serge: Many of us engineers would love to work on SupCom 3 or K&C, but we can't at the moment. Working on AoE:O will keep us quite occupied for a while, but eventually we will get back to talking about what to do next.

Exxec71 said... / July 16, 2011 at 8:17 AM  

Do you think GPG will be able to expand because of the income generated from AoE:O? Maybe not to levels like bigger companies but at least enough to support other games i mean.

Peter Smith said... / July 20, 2011 at 5:59 PM  

cool, i hope there are more options for the opicity of those chat windows maybe some kind of either minimise function, or fade off cursor

basically u know the type of gui's that are normally annoying when they take up too much space and just look ugly, my idea of the perfect gui is faded if not focused on or the primary point of view.

hope that made sense im not a gui programmer, urm kind of related my idea of a good gui is the work s2 put into heroes of newerth, tho they kind to iterate it way too much i dunno if thats a good thing for its model.

good luck on aoe online, big fan!

Peter Smith said... / July 20, 2011 at 6:06 PM  

also another small gripe is i find it strange how some map makers make their borders just back, no sense of giving the player an illusion of it being bigger, im a fan of invisible borders with a background or designing a map bigger then the players point of view.

im rambling :)

CasualSax said... / August 25, 2011 at 12:10 AM  

I'm enjoying AOEO. It has a nice mix of persistence and instance content. When I can make heads or tails of the paid content, I'll consider putting money in. The player base has a lot of gibberish in chat, but any time I have asked a newbie question, someone has politely direct messaged me.

I have to keep reminding myself not to defend your honor when someone bashes the AI, and instead think of how well I can read and interact with said basher.

@Sorian: Being on the other side of things, what do you like/dislike about the end game content AOEO has/will have?

Post a Comment