Change is good

A little over 3 years ago Gas Powered Games took a chance on me and welcomed me to the GPG family. No other company would give me the time of day. Over the past 3 years GPG continued to take chances; first by having me take over the Supreme Commander 2 AI and again by allowing me to create the AI system for their current project from scratch. There aren't many companies that would give that level of responsibility to such a junior engineer.

However, all good things must come to and end.Yesterday I gave notice that as of November 1st I would cease to be an employee at Gas Powered Games. In three weeks I will no longer be working for the employer I spent 2 1/2 years of my life hounding for a job. I wish all the best for GPG and all of its employees in all of their future endeavors and I am very thankful for the opportunities I was given to grow as an engineer.

November 1st starts a new chapter in my career as I join the ranks of Uber Entertainment. I am very excited to have the opportunity to work an such an epic project as Planetary Annihilation. With the amount of talent located in Uber's office this project has huge potential.

I will continue to update my blog as development progresses on Planetary Annihilation, so keep checking back as we go for awesome!

15 comments:

Steviepunk said... / October 11, 2012 at 2:21 AM  

Best of luck with the change over :)

I'm looking forward to Planetary Annihilation (I'm a backer :) ), so good to know you'll be adding AI input in there!

It's just a shame that you won't be contributing further to the AI in GPGs next game (which I'm hoping is Sup Com 3!), but one projects gain is anothers loss I guess.

Luke Degner said... / October 11, 2012 at 5:01 AM  

Oh my god, yes! Congrats on the switch! It must be a wonderful feeling to be able to work for two great companies.

Will you be doing AI for Planetary Annihilation?

Michael Robbins said... / October 11, 2012 at 7:44 AM  

Yes, I will be doing the AI for PA.

serge fjetland said... / October 11, 2012 at 8:46 AM  

you are at uber!?!?!? SWEET!

i love GPG, but have been hoping ever so much to see you join UBER to work on their AI!

Dragan Tomovski said... / October 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM  

This is great news Sorian, all the best on the new job!

I hope that PA will be SC3, with you on board i know that it will be a great game.

John Tibble said... / October 11, 2012 at 10:41 AM  

Cross-posted your good news to Reddit!
http://www.reddit.com/r/planetaryannihilation/

Causeless said... / October 11, 2012 at 2:42 PM  

That's absolutely awesome! Go ahead and join the #planetaryannihilation irc on irc.esper.net :) All of us are waiting to give a big high-five to you :D

At least we'll have great AI in PA now. I hear they guys there could barely make something walk in a straight line, so you must be a massive help for them ;)

Paceydre said... / October 12, 2012 at 8:49 AM  

This is Uber Awesome news Sorian :)

Shooting for awesome just got realistic with this news.

EdWood said... / October 12, 2012 at 12:54 PM  

Wow, this is even better than I hoped...

Good luck to you and Uber!
I guess it does makes a difference what games you are working on, welcome back to the RTS genre...cannot wait to see your ideas for the AI...

Rig Advisor said... / October 12, 2012 at 3:30 PM  

Great to hear dude. GPG have lost their way a bit in the last two years whereas Uber are going amazing places.

Quitch said... / October 14, 2012 at 1:42 PM  

I suggested that Uber add a "Recruit Sorian" stretch goal. Glad to see they already knew that having you on board just made damn good sense.

This is truly great news!

Philip said... / October 17, 2012 at 11:40 PM  

Yay! Sorian AI from the start :-)

Looking forward to battles against it.

Tobias Fong C.W. said... / December 4, 2012 at 12:10 AM  

Why did GPG fire you? I don't mean to be insensitive, but I find it weird that they will fire a talented AI producer like you. Company politics, perhaps? Or the company is losing money and needs to downsize its staff?

Michael Robbins said... / December 4, 2012 at 7:49 PM  

GPG didn't fire me, I left to join Uber.

Tobias Fong C.W. said... / December 6, 2012 at 8:43 AM  

Oh, sorry. My bad for misunderstanding. Well, good luck to you and your new career!

Post a Comment