Three weeks later

I find it fitting that I am sitting down to write this on the day of Thanksgiving. Looking back over the last year I realize that I have a lot to be thankful for, not the least of which is the opportunity to work amongst such a talented group of individuals as those at Uber Entertainment. Planetary Annihilation is a very different project for me, obviously not due to the genre, but do to the fact that I have never had the opportunity to work on a project in such an early stage of development.

I have spent the last few weeks working on some really core level engine items such as creating a wrapper class for semaphore objects (to hide the multi-platform details further down), creating a thread pool object, a thread safe task queue, a condition variable wrapper; you get the idea. It has all been a fun and it has all been an interesting challenge.

The past week has mostly been spent working on replacing our resource system with something a bit more robust. This includes having support for re-loading changed items on the fly (which was fun to see the first time it worked, by the way) to make development iteration easier. I have the basics of it working and am now just working out the full implementation details, trying to see all the problems with the way it works currently and adjusting the implementation to compensate. I imagine I will spend some time this weekend fixing up the last identified flaw and start working on support for more than just textures. After that, it will probably be time for ripping out the old system and replacing it with the new one.

Uber has such a different and interesting culture than I am used to. They are far more open about the inner workings of the company and I find that refreshing. I also like that fact that I can go to the forums and see more than me interacting with the community. Posts from the forums are cited quite often in meetings and conversations.

Speaking of listening to the community, Planetary Annihilation pre-orders are now available. It seems odd to be offering them so early on in development, but that is what many of the community asked for, so Uber is delivering. If you are interested in pre-ordering Planetary Annihilation, you can do so here: http://store.uberent.com

Also, the book that I wrote an article for is now listed on Amazon and has an awesome cover: http://amzn.to/R4cllh I am fairly certain the listed publication date is incorrect, but we will see. I can't wait to get my copy.

4 comments:

cyb.tachyon said... / November 23, 2012 at 9:21 PM  

Happy Thanksgiving Sorian! This modder's always happy to hear how you're doing. Can't wait to read the book!

bioemerl said... / November 25, 2012 at 10:54 AM  

Amazing. I am glad to see you working on planetary annihilation. I can now be assured the AI will be at the very least decent.

Renszarv said... / December 1, 2012 at 5:46 AM  

I'm curious, why don't you use QT for such low-level platform independent codes ? Not the widgets, of course, but QtCore, which already has mutex, threadpool, etc ...

Michael Robbins said... / December 1, 2012 at 12:44 PM  

Because the decision was made to not have the engine rely on QT. This will allow us to more easily adapt the engine for other projects in the future.

Post a Comment